Electrical Inspections in Springton, TX

Most people do not think much about what is going on behind the walls in their home. However, every time a light is turned on or an appliance is run, homeowners are drawing on the electrical wiring. If this wiring is old or damaged, serious problems can develop.

If everything is working fine, there is no risk. However, if the wires are old, damaged, or malfunctioning, issues can arise. Unfortunately, many of these issues will remain hidden. In fact, to normal homeowners, wiring that is fine may look the same as damaged wiring, which can result in serious accidents if no action is taken to seek Electrical services from professional electricians.

According to information from the United States Fire Administration, faulty wiring is responsible for over 50K fires per year. The losses caused by these fires exceeds $1.4 billion in total property damage and over 500 deaths.

For homeowners, it is essential to ensure the electrical system in their home is not old or damaged and that it is operating properly. One of the best ways to do this is by investing in regular electrical inspections. Along with regular inspections, it is also a good idea to get to know some of the tell-tale signs of an electrical problem or issue. Keep reading to learn what those are.

Frayed Wires

Electrical wires in a home can fray because of bending, heat, or corrosion. They may also be damaged by nails or screws, which can pierce through them or pinch the wiring. While homeowners may not want to hear about this, rats and mice may also chew on the electrical wires, which can also cause problems.

If a homeowner sees any evidence of mice or rat activity in their home, they should check all the electrical wires in the space to make sure there is no damage. Regardless of why the damage occurred, it is best to invest in a full electrical inspection to make sure there are no other issues.

Switches That Cause a Shock When Used

If switches cause a shock when they are flipped, this is a tell-tale sign that the wiring is damaged or bad. If a switch causes a shock, there are some situations where it is the result of the wires in the circuits that will short out to the conduit, which is what encloses the wiring. Not only is this an unpleasant situation, but it is also an indication that there is something that has short-circuited. It could be a device plugged into the switch in question, wires with damaged insulation, or the switch itself.

If the issue does not go away after the devices have been removed, it means the wiring of this switch is damaged. In this situation, it is a good idea to call professional electricians to have the switch and connected wiring inspected and repaired.

Fuses and Breakers That Trip

A circuit breaker is designed to protect the house from any potential electrical dangers. This is done by tipping the circuit if it exceeds the maximum ampere rating they have. While fuses offer the same type of protection, they may blow out and require replacement if the ampere limit is exceeded.

If there are fuses or circuit breakers in a home that go out more often than usual, there could be a few possible reasons. For example, the homeowner may have plugged in too many higher-ampere appliances in one circuit, which exceeded the ampere rating of the circuit breaker. If this is not the situation, then it could be because of a short circuit in the circuit’s wiring.

If the fuse or circuit breaker goes out often, it is a tell-tale sign that the wiring is seriously damaged. An electrician can examine the circuit and make the necessary replacements before more serious issues occur.

Smoke

If smoke is seen coming out of a switch, an electrical board, or an appliance, it is a sign of a problem. If a homeowner sees this smoke, they need to turn off everything and unplug all devices. It is also necessary to check for any clear signs of a problem. Try not to touch any of the wires, and turn off the main power to the electric system.

When it comes to electrical issues, it is important not to ignore the signs of a problem. This is the only way to ensure that action will be taken in a timely manner. Being informed and knowing when to call an electrician are the best ways to ensure the desired results are achieved